30 Apr Off
Depending on the output capability the average cost of an industrial air compressor is $36,500 with prices ranging from $1,000 for a 5HP reciprocating air compressor to $70,000 for a 200HP air compressor for the US in 2019.
An industrial air compressor works by cooling air and reducing its volume. This machine is used in industries such as mechanical, manufacturing, hospitality, construction and agriculture. They are actually similar to the small air compressor you may have at home. only they have a bigger motor and a larger storage tank to handle more intensive jobs. There are a few things you need to be aware of before making a purchase, however.
Types Of Industrial Air Compressors
- Reciprocating Air Compressors: Also referred to as a cylinder and a piston compressor, it creates a vacuum compressing air and forcing it into a storage tank. it is a very affordable option as the technology used by a reciprocating air compressor has been around for a very long time.
- Centrifugal Air Compressors: Like a turbine engine, they use rotating blades to create highly pressurized air for discharge. They are very powerful and designed for constant use. Generally, they are only suitable for large-scale operations such as natural gas and oil pipelines as well as ski resorts who use them as part of their snowmaking machines.
- Rotary Screw Air Compressors: Utilizing two rotors they force air upwards into a casing where it becomes increasingly pressurized. Compact and powerful, these machines have a smooth air output compared to reciprocating compressors. Oil is used in some rotary screw air compressors to compress air, while others are oil-free, for example, when used for paint spraying jobs.
Choosing An Industrial Air Compressor By Application
You need to select an air compressor that is right for the purpose for which you will be utilizing it. Here are some terminologies that are key to deciding what machine is a good fit for you:
- Power: A compressors power is rated in horsepower (HP.) An industrial air compressor runs off gasoline or electricity.
- Storage Tank: Consider the air compressors capacity measured in gallons. The greater the size of the tank, the more cubic feet per minute it is capable of delivering. Large tank size does not equal more pounds per square inch, however.
- Air Pressure: Measured in pounds per square inch also known as PSI. To operate the machine will list the minimum amounts of PSI required.
- Air Flow: Measured in cubic feet per minute or CFM and similar to PSI you need to make sure the compressor you are using has the proper amount of CFM for the tools you are utilizing with it.
Industrial Air Compressor Sample Costs
You have learned output capacity can differ greatly from one machine to another. So to does the cost of the machines! This should give you a ballpark figure idea of the costs of industrial air compressors.
- 5HP Reciprocating Air Compressor: $1,000 to $2,500.
- 5HP Rotary Air Compressor: $2,5000 to $5,000.
- 10HP Air Compressor: $3,5000 to $7,000.
- 25HP Reciprocating Industrial Air Compressor: $8,000 to $12,000.
- 50HP Rotary Air Compressor: $12,000 to $18,000.
- 100HP Industrial Air Compressor: $20,000 to $35,000.
- 200HP Air Compressor: $40,000 to $70,000
- Nationwide prices can vary for industrial air compressors. For example, a reciprocating machine may be had for $2,000 to $2,500 and a rotary machine may be purchased from 43,000 to $30,000. Used air compressors tend to run from $5,000 to $7,500.