Electrical fires are probably the most dangerous and destructive kind of fire. They can happen unexpectedly and spread fast, usually resulting in significant damage to property and serious injuries or possibly death.
There are many various aspects that can contribute to an electrical fire, including defective electrical outlets, out of date appliances, lighting fixtures, misusage of extension cords, light bulbs, space heaters, and out of date wiring—just to mention a few. Keep reading to discover the most typical causes of electrical fires.
Common Causes of Electrical Fires
Below are some common causes of electrical fires. There are most likely more but these ones stand out the most.
One of the most typical causes of electrical fires is defective wiring. This occurs when wires are not correctly installed or maintained, and they can begin to get overheated and catch fire.
Overloading Outlets and Circuits
Other wire-associated causes of electrical fires can comprise of overloaded outlets and circuits, frayed or damaged cords, and misusage use of extension cords.
Dryer Lint Accumulation
Another typical cause of electrical fires is failing to clean out dryer lint trap. After a while, this can create a detrimental fire hazard. Make sure to clean your dryer lint trap regularly (when you dry a load of clothes), and don’t leave behind lint around the dryer itself.
Allowing Devices to Overheat
Any device that creates heat can start a fire when it’s left on for too long or is not correctly ventilated. This comprises of space heaters, irons, hair dryers, and possibly laptops. If you’re using any of these devices, make sure to unplug them when you aren’t using them and keep them away from flammable materials such as curtains and bedding.
Using Too Many Extension Cords
As the weather starts to cool down and we begin to use more electrical devices for staying warm, the fire risk increases. One of the main causes of residential fires is defective wiring, and this is usually the result of the usage of too many extension cords.
Dust can also be a significant fire hazard. When you let it gather, it can catch fire easily. Make sure to dust each of your surfaces regularly and vacuum any carpeted sections.
Pests can also be a significant problem. When you have mice or other pests in your home, they can easily nibble through electrical wires, that could cause a fire. Make sure to maintain your home cleanliness and devoid of pests.
One of the main causes of electrical fires is loose-fitting plugs. When a plug isn’t close against the outlet, it could cause arcing (a spark of electricity). This can ignite flammable materials nearby easily, resulting in a fire. To stop this, be sure all your plugs fit snug in their outlets.
Another typical cause of electrical fires is the use of space heaters. When a space heater is situated too close to fire prone materials, it can start a fire easily. To stop this, keep space heaters at a minimum of three feet away from anything that could burn. Moreover, only use space heaters that have been certified by a accredited testing facility.